Monday, February 22, 2010

Time to Taper

Two paddles in three days for me over a (slightly) extended weekend--the first this year that was actually fully conducive to kayaking.

Friday was a day for testing out modifications to the boat, about half of which worked. I covered only about 7 miles and worked on paddling slower. I know, this seems contradictory, but it's actually hard to do and necessary for the long hours I'll be paddling in 10 days. I can't really explain why slowing one's pace is difficult, and it's much more pronounced in paddling than in other sports I've tried. Of course, I run so slowly that intentionally slowing down would require walking. On Friday, when I eased back to less than 4 mph, my shoulders felt heavy, and I'd soon unconsciously edge back up over 4 mph.

As ever, there are sights to see at the lake. Notice the bands in the bushes (you'll have to click on the photograph to expand it), evidence of previous water levels. And there were also nifty "stair-step" beaches showing previous water levels. Presumably, the Corps releases from the dam in stages, creating deposition, then erosion. It caused me to ponder the vagaries of studying shorelines in the geologic past. According to the markings on the Fearrington Road bridge, water was 9 feet lower on Friday than it had been 12 days before.

I also spotted one eagle who refused to cooperate photographically. Most of the ones I see are quite wary, no doubt justifiably.

I didn't stay out long because I've finally admitted to myself that I really don't like paddling alone on 45 degree water. Even staying close to the shore, I worry about my ability to get to dry land should I capsize. Hypothermia happens quickly at that temperature, and there's also the fear of reflexively inhaling when one's head hits that cold water. I wouldn't even attempt to get back into the boat in the water, even though I can do it readily in warmer water. With those thoughts in mind, it was easy to put away my plan to paddle in the dark by myself. The sun was just nudging the horizon when I put prow to ramp.

Sunday was another day, and I was very happy to be on the water with Dawn and Kristen. We met up at 10:00 to simplify dressing for a day that started out subfreezing and promised to top 60. My Spot track showed that we covered water at around 4 knots (4.5+ mph) most of the four hours. It was fairly vigorous paddling, but I held up well. I also finally seem to have my position in the boat right. I'm not leaning back, and I have no lower back discomfort. All that's really left on the boat is to get the sail masts to stay put. Installing a through-deck drinking system will simply be a bonus.

Notice the sail on Dawn's NDK Explorer. WaterTribe rules allow Class 2 kayaks to have a 1 square meter sail, and I followed Kristen and Dawn's leads on this, using a Pacific Action Sail. It allows us to get some additional propulsion any time the apparent wind is aft of abeam. (Translation: "Apparent wind" is the sum of the vectors of the actual wind and one's trajectory. "Aft of abeam" means the 180 degrees from perpendicular left to perpendicular right towards the back of the boat.) Some times I imagine that I'm getting some push when pointing (going within 90 degrees of the apparent wind), but I suspect I'm going sideways an equal amount. Only rarely have I had sufficient push to justify stopping paddling, but it makes things easier. We didn't have much wind on Sunday, but it was enough to notice and thoroughly enjoy.

My plan for the day had included the possibility of stretching it out to six hours, but after four there seemed no point. I felt fine and knew that I could go on, but doing so only would have worn me down. Whatever fitness I have now is all that I can generate before March 6; time to rest, fiddle with the boat, pack dry bags and finish route planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment